I’m usually the ultimate planner of planning things but I completely dropped the ball on coming up with a fun and festive treat for 4th of July this year. Like ya sometimes do. The thing is for the past week I’ve been a bit preoccupied with breaking out in hives from an allergic reaction to laundry detergent. Yep, hives. Everywhere. I’ve been a splotchy, itchy disaster. So, for the first time ever instead of out with friends on a rooftop or in a park somewhere watching fireworks, I’m sitting at home.
However, if I was going to be stuck at home feeling miserable and applying hydrocortisone cream like crazy, you better believe I was going to make up for it by whipping up what is going to be my new go-to summer treat. Boozy Popsicles! In this case festive Red, White & Blue Sangria Popsicles.
Of course after deciding I wanted to make popsicles, it occured to me I don’t own popsicle molds or anything that could work as a stand in. So, that sitting around at home quickly turned into having to, GOD FORBID, put on clothes (which immediately made the hives worse), hunt down pospicle molds, and buy sangria fixin’s. The best part though is minus having to run out and buy everything, making these suckers is suuuuper easy.
The not so great part, remembering they have to freeze before you can eat them! Damn! Good thing this recipe makes a big enough batch of Sangria there’s enough left over to have a glass or two while you wait.
Once they have been in the freezer long enough, about 4-6 hours, place your popsicle mold in *WARM* not hot water for about 5-10 seconds to loosen and Voila, Let Summer Begin! I’m an adult, I can have my booze and eat it too!!
And thank god for that because I have a sneaking suspicion I’ll be waking up covered in hives yet again once this prednisone wears off. Which means I’m headed back to the Urgent Care in the morning……. on the bright side there will sangria popsicles waiting for me at home.
- 1 bottle white wine ( I used Sauvignon Blanc)
- 2 oz Limon flavored Rum
- 1 cup apple juice
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- Mix together the wine, rum, apple juice and lemon juice.
- Slice up strawberries small enough to fit popsicle molds.
- Drop a few blueberries, blackberries and strawberries evenly into each mold.
- Pour sangria mixture over fruit, leaving a bit of room at the top for the liquid to expand.
- Insert popsicle sticks or tops to molds
- Freeze for at least 6 hours, preferabbly overnight!
- Since these are mostly made up of alcohol, they tend to melt quickly. Eat over a cup and you'll be left with a glass of sangria from what drips down!