Turkey Black Bean and Spinach Enchiladas
I live for mexican food especially enchiladas. I can easily eat mexican for every single meal, every day of the week. Added bonus, the majority of mexican is gluten-free. I don’t know what I would have done if having celiac disease would have meant living without foods like enchiladas.
While I was reading The Gluten-Free Cheat Sheet one of the recipes in it was for spinach enchiladas. They sounded delicious but I’m more on the carnivorous side and needed to include meat. While I was at it I added in black beans for the extra protein every fit showgirl needs.
If you are trying to keep these gluten-free be sure that if you use store-bought enchilada sauce you double-check it. A lot of premade sauces are not gluten-free so make sure and read that label! I used store-bought this round to save on time but you can always opt to make you’re own home-made enchilada sauce as well. This Gal Cooks has a great one on her site that I recommend.
Speaking of gluten-free. I’m currently in Minnesota for the Minneapolis Burlesque festival and the gluten-free food options are out of control. Here I thought New York had great options but um…. I stand corrected. I’ve managed to find two amazing places to eat at within a day of being here that walking distance of where I’m staying!
Don’t worry I plan on writing all about my trip, my workouts and all the great food I’ve been eating.
I do love to eat. Even more, I love a meal that makes so much food I can survive off it for the week. Which is exactly what happened with these enchiladas. They are so good though, I had to hold myself back from eating half the dish in the first sitting. It was a real problem.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 lb of ground turkey
- 1 10oz package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 can no salt added black beans
- 3/4 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1 cup fat free plain greek yogurt
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 11 corn tortillas
- 1 can of gluten free enchilada sauce or homemade sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Warm olive oil in skillet add diced onion and garlic and sauté and until soft.
- Add in ground turkey and cook through and drain
- Add frozen spinach and black beans to turkey and heat for 3-4 minutes
- Remove from heat and in large bowl mix with ricotta cheese, yogurt and 1 cup of monterey jack
- Heat tortillas one at time in microwave or over low heat on stove
- Fill each tortilla with mixture with approx 1/4 cup of turkey, black bean, spinach and cheese filling
- Roll tortillas tightly and place each seam down in 9x13 baking dish, pour enchilada sauce over tortillas and top with remain cup of shredded cheese
- Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and slightly brown on edges
- Allow to cool and Enjoy!