Man the weather this winter! From 60 degrees one day to waking up in a snow storm the next. I don’t know about you but my food cravings are all over the place. At least you can always rely on a good soup to hit the spot, no matter the weather.
With a giant bag of Kale in my fridge about to go bad, I had been scaling pinterest for a good kale soup idea. But none of them were hearty enough for what I was craving. They did however give me a great starting point on what to do with the hodge-podge of ingredients I had.
That’s what soups and stews are great for though, right?
One thing is for sure lately I crave potato’s constantly. I think it’s my body craving the starches it’s lacking from a gluten-free diet. That and the depressing lack of french fries. Stupid shared fryers. Plus, potatoes have become my go to comfort food when I have an upset stomach, since crackers are a thing of the past. ( I know get to the friggin’ point already!)
My point is as I searched all the kale and tomato, kale and white bean, kale and this or that soups none of them seemed to incorporate potatoes. If you ask this Mid-West raised Irish/German girl, that needed be fixed. And fixed it is.
I ended up with this delicious Kale, White Bean & Potato soup. It’s low-fat, packed with protein from the white beans, nutrients from the kale and tomatoes, and added heartiness from the potatoes. Oh and some mushrooms cause well, they needed to be used too.
What can I say, I’ve learned from my mother that some of the best recipes come from putting together what needs to be used. Minus the bottle of wine in the fridge, cause that’s for drinking.
I froze half of the soup from this recipe and its good thing I did. Because when that snow storm hit it was about all I had in the house to eat. No complaints about that though, I ended up eating it all that day.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 4 cups unsalted or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 15oz cans diced tomatos ( I like to use one fire roasted, one garlic, basil & oregano)
- 2 red potatoes - cut into 1" cubes
- 2 15oz cans cannellini beans or great northern - drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups (loosely packed) kale - stems removed, roughly chopped or torn
- Heat olive oil in stock pot over medium heat
- Add onion, and cook until soft and translucent about 4-5 minutes
- Add garlic cook for another minute or two
- Add the butter as it melts stir in the herbs and potatoes
- Add in the tomatoes and chicken stock and stir to combine
- Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 25-30 minutes
- Add white beans and kale and continue to simmer until warm, about 4-5 minutes
- Serve & Enjoy!